Letting Go



Something we all, (especially me) struggle with is to let go. It happens so easily that an attachment towards something or someone is formed. According to Ainsworth (1973) and Bowlby (1969) attachment is a "deep and enduring emotional bond that connects one person to another across time and space" (Quote found Online available from: http://www.simplypsychology.org/attachment.html).

Memories are linked to certain things and certain people. Memory is a process where information and ideas are collected and recalled. "The ability to create new memories, store them for periods of time and recall them when they are needed allows us to learn and interact with the world around us" (Cherry, 2014: Online available from: http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/memory.htm).

Humans are emotional beings and therefore we attach (at least I do) emotions to the memories we make making it harder to let go when we need to.

Mark 1:17-20:
17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. 19 Going on a little farther, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who were also in the boat mending the nets. 20 Immediately He called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went away to follow Him (Available online from: http://biblehub.com/context/mark/1-17.htm)

This idea made me think, what is it that stands in my way of connecting with God? What is keeping me from spending more time with Him? It struck me - TIME. Our lives are constantly buzzing with things to do and places to get to that we often forget to "make" time.
I have heard myself saying on numerous occasions that I do not have the time to spend time in the word of God or I have not enough time to have a proper conversation with Jesus today so a quick prayer would have to do... but it occurred to me that I am neglecting to "make" time for Him. I can make time for coffee dates, series, partying etc and I am constantly letting Him go.

It is a new challenge for me - letting go of the time consuming aspects in my life, doing less of it. I'm not saying at all to leave everything I enjoy but I am saying that I will try to do less of it in order for my relationship in Christ to grow. I would also have to let go of that which reminds me of bad things that happened in the past because holding on to the past keeps me from moving forward.

I want to be on a journey with Christ and I want to hold on to His trusting hand so that I can keep walking in faith.
Let go of the past, hold on to Christ.

T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer Walk through your Home

We serve a God of Healing and Miracles

"Patient Fruit" - Take a bite